The Cannula course is ideal for aesthetic practitioners who have a good basic knowledge of dermal filler injections and who feel ready to develop their knowledge of alternative techniques by exploring the use of cannula in particular.
Learning to inject with a needle is the foundation building block to aesthetic injections however, for many procedures, mastering cannula techniques opens a door to quicker and safer results with less bruising, bleeding, discomfort and ultimately fewer side effects, complications and greater patient satisfaction.
This course will explain the benefits of the cannula and give clear understanding of when it is more appropriate than using a needle and where needles are still the most effective approach.
You will learn the essential theory before watching demonstrations and having the opportunity to practice on live models.
- Provide refresher knowledge of facial anatomy
- Explanation of cannula vs needles – when to select which and advantages / disadvantages of both
- Knowledge building for cannula skills with underpinning theory – a variety of facial areas will be covered according to indications presented on the day by patient models
- Understand and manage a variety of side effects, complications, patient concerns and how to address them
- Demonstration of cannula techniques on real patient models
- Establish confidence through practical hands-on experience on patient models under 1:1 supervision of our expert trainer
- Learn to inject safely, but to successfully tackle every stage of the patient journey with confidence; from consultation, through treatment, handling rare complications, and looking after patients for the long term
- Access to 1:1 supervision opportunities in the AK Aesthetics clinic (by appointment and additional charges apply)
- Free and exclusive access to our highly active online Facebook community for post-course support, questions and debate.
- 6 patient model cases (typically) lasting around 1-hour each with a mix of indications for specific facial procedures suitable for cannula.
- 6:1 trainer/trainee ratio – maximum 6 trainees to a trainer to ensure the quality of hands-on experience and individualised tuition for this course
- Unique algorithms in the theory course give you certainty when you start on your own
- Dedicated fully-equipped modern clinic environment
In addition to our standard entry requirements for training, we require you to have undertaken Foundation training in aesthetic injection. However, as this is a new set of techniques as an alternative to using a needle, we do not require you to have completed a minimum number of patient cases since your Foundation training.
Please see below a list of generic competencies which we assess you against on your training course:
- History taking
- Physical examination skills/clinical judgement
- Demonstrates understanding of indications for treatment, A&P, procedural technique
- Obtains informed consent
- Demonstrates appropriate preoperative preparation
- Offers/applies appropriate analgesics
- Demonstrates safe delivery of proposed procedure
- Technical ability
- Aseptic technique
- Post procedure management
- Communication skills
- Overall ability to perform the procedure competently
Your trainer will work with you to help you meet the required standard for each of these competencies. Delegates not able to meet one or more of the competencies will be asked to resit their training on a different date at additional cost.
Successful completion of the competencies results in a AK Training Academy certificate, which is issued at the end of your training day.
Please note this course does not constitute training for new facial areas for which you have not already received training for. The course is designed to provide the principles of cannula use which you can then apply independently for areas of existing training and competence.